ALIAN GARAY, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. Alian Garay is a board-certified General Surgeon with fellowship training in Advanced Laparoscopic, Minimally Invasive, and Bariatric Surgery. Dr. Garay first served our country in the military prior to getting into the medical field. He attended elementary school through high school in the Houston area. After being honorably discharged from the military, he graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Houston. Dr. Garay received his Doctorate of Medicine at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston, Texas. He then went on to complete his internship and residency in General Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Science Center in Denver, Colorado. He rounded out his training with a fellowship at Legacy Health Systems in Portland, Oregon in Bariatric, Advanced Laparoscopy, Foregut, and Minimally Invasive Surgery.
Dr. Garay is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) as well as the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES). He served as surgical residency director of the University of Houston Graduate Medical Education Surgical Residency Program. Dr. Garay has over 12 years of Bariatric and General Surgical experience.
Dr. Garay believes in quality healthcare with excellent long-term outcomes for his patients through education. When he is not treating patients, you will find Dr. Garay in his hometown of Kingwood with his wife and their two daughters.
Dr. Garay welcomes new patients and referrals with convenient online appointment scheduling.
Education and Training
- Fellowship: Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center, Portland, Oregon – Advanced Minimally Invasive, Foregut and Bariatric Surgery (2010-2011)
- Residency: University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, Colorado – General Surgery (2006-2010)
- Internship: University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, Colorado, – General Surgery (2005-2006)
- Medical School: University of Texas Health Science Center, Denver, Colorado, Doctorate of Medicine (2001-2005)
- Undergraduate: University of Texas, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Certificate of Completion Allied Health Program: towards B.S. in Clinical Laboratory Sciences-Medical Technology (2000-2001)
- Undergraduate: University of Houston, B.S. in Biology-Medical Technology – Summa Cum Laude, Minor: Chemistry (1997-2000)
Awards and Honors
- American Scholars National Honor Society (2000-2001)
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists—Academic Scholarship (2001)
- Golden Key National Honor Society (1999-2000)
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (1999-2001)
- Biography Published, National Dean’s List (1998-1999)
- Fellow of The American College of Surgeons (2014)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) # 20455
- American Board of Surgery, Certificate # 55792
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists, MT Board Certification # 04070481
- National Credentialing Agency, Clinical Laboratory Scientist Board Certification
- General Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopy
- Foregut Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
FOLLOW US ON:
OUR PATIENT PLEDGE
At Total Medical, we strive to provide you with the best health care experience. We understand the importance of high-quality health care that is safe, effective and affordable. We are committed treating each patient with dignity and respect at all times. Our team will explain your treatment options so that you can make an informed decision about your health care needs.